On March 18, 2020, Lake County Health Officer issued a Shelter in Place Order for Lake County. On March 19, 2020, Governor Newsom issued an Executive Order ordering all Californians to stay at home. As of today, both orders remain in place. Even as reopening begins, the COVID-19 pandemic continues and it is apparent that social distancing, limits on gatherings, and mandatory face coverings will remain in place for weeks and, in some form, potentially months to come.
The court provides an essential government service and has taken significant steps in an effort to comply with the Health Officer’s Order and to protect court users and staff from the spread of COVID-19. As the court prepares to reopen and begin providing in-person services to the public, we have limited the number of cases on calendar, will require social distancing in court facilities, and continue to handle matters via remote means whenever possible. Pursuant to the Health Officer’s May 21, 2020 Order (C20-06), the court will require face coverings for anyone entering a court facility.
Remote Court Hearings
The court will continue to hold the following hearings by remote appearance only. All attorneys and parties MUST APPEAR BY PHONE/VIDEO as directed by the court. The court will provide instructions for the remote appearance. Hearing dates for the following calendars will remain as presently set.
- Daily In-custody Criminal Arraignments
- Juvenile Detention Hearings
- Felony Law & Motion, Department 3, Tuesdays at 8:15 am
- Sentencings, Department 3, Mondays at 1:30 pm
- Misdemeanor Disposition/Setting and Motions, Department 1, Mondays at 8:15 am and 1:30 pm
- Misdemeanor Settlement Conferences, Department 1, Tuesdays at 1:30 pm
- Civil Law & Motion, Department 2, Mondays at 9:00 am
- Civil Case Management, Department 2, Mondays at 10:30 am
- Conservatorships, Department 2, Mondays at 1:30 pm
- Probate, Department 2, Mondays at 2:00 pm
- Department of Child Support Services Family Support, Clearlake Branch Tuesdays at 9:00 am
- Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Department 2, Tuesdays at 8:15 am
- Family Law & Motion, Department 2, Tuesdays at 10:00 am
- Juvenile Delinquency and Dependency Calendars, Mondays, 8:18 am/1:30 pm, Department 4
- Civil Harassment Restraining Order Calendar, Tuesdays, 8:15 am, Department 4
Trials and Contested Hearings
The court will begin conducting in-person trials or contested hearings the week of June 15, 2020. The number of cases set on a given date/time have been limited to allow for appropriate social distancing.
Felony Law & Motion, Preliminary Hearings
The felony law and motion calendar will be held by remote appearance. However, out-of-custody defendants ordered to appear will be required to attend in person. Preliminary hearings will continue to be held in person.
Misdemeanor Arraignment Calendar
The misdemeanor arraignment calendar will begin the week of June 8, 2020. This calendar will be held in person. The number of cases set on a given date/time have been limited to allow for appropriate social distancing
The court will begin conducting jury trials sometime after June 22, 2020, when necessary. If you receive a jury summons for a date after June 22, 2020, you are required to appear. Steps have been taken to minimize the risk to jurors, including reducing the number of jurors who are summoned to appear at one time. Additional details are provided with the jury summons.
Clearlake Branch Operations: Small Claims/Traffic/Unlawful Detainer
The Clearlake Branch will begin holding court calendars beginning June 22, 2020. Unlawful detainer cases will be set in compliance with Statewide Emergency Rules 1 and 2.
The Self-Help Center will continue to provide service by remote means only. Litigants can contact the Self-Help Center by phone (707) 994-4612, or email email@example.com for assistance.
Court Clerk’s Offices
The Court Clerk’s Offices will reopen June 8, 2020, to the public. The public is encouraged to continue to make use of the drop-box whenever possible, to avoid a person-to-person interaction.
View the full notice here.
First Legal, your premier litigation support provider.