The Superior Court of California, County of Colusa had recently implemented emergency orders assigned by the Chief Justice, Tani G. Cantil-Sakauye, which provided for a Court closure from Friday, March 20, 2020, through Friday, May 1, 2020. Due to the continued state of emergency, the Court will remain closed to the public until Monday, June 1, 2020, with limited exceptions. Persons having court dates during the closure will receive written notice of their rescheduled dates and parties should consult with their attorneys for more information.
As the Court continues to balance the need to provide essential services to the public and community with the ongoing health concerns related to COVID-19, the following adjustments to our limited calendars and operations will be made effective Monday, May 4, 2020, through Friday, May 29, 2020.
Court calendars will be limited to:
Anyone (i.e. Attorneys, Plaintiffs/Petitioners, Respondents/Defendants, Prosecutors, Probation Officers, Interpreters, Court Reporters, Officers/Deputies, Victims, Witnesses, Observers) making a physical appearance in court is required to wear a facial covering.
- Title IV-D Cases (DCSS) Calendar will be held on Mondays at 9:00 a.m. in Department 1 All appearances will be made via telephone and/or Zoom.
- Juvenile Calendar will be held on Mondays at 1:00 p.m. in Department 2 Counsel, Department, and all parties are strongly encouraged to appear via Zoom. If a physical appearance is made, facial coverings are required.
- Civil Law and Motion Calendar will be held on Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m. in Department 1 Counsel and all parties are strongly encouraged to appear via CourtCall. If a physical appearance is made, facial coverings are required.
- Criminal Felony & Misdemeanor: Atty. Williams Calendar will be held on Tuesdays at 8:30 a.m. in Department 2. Counsel to appear 977 on behalf of Defendant. If a defendant is making a physical appearance, a facial covering is required.
- Criminal Felony & Misdemeanor: Private Counsel Calendar will be held on Wednesdays at 8:30 a.m. in Department 2. Counsel to appear 977 on behalf of Defendant. Counsel is strongly encouraged to appear via Zoom. If counsel and/or a defendant is making a physical appearance, a facial covering is required.
- Criminal Felony & Misdemeanor: Atty. Smith Calendar will be held on Wednesdays at 1:00 p.m. in Department 2. Counsel to appear 977 on behalf of Defendant. If a defendant is making a physical appearance, a facial covering is required.
- In-custody arraignments will be held as needed.
When possible, telephonic and video options will be utilized and many hearings are being continued to June and July. In addition, jury trials have been suspended for the month of May.
To further reduce the number of individuals in the courthouse, the entrance shall be limited to those individuals conducting legitimate business. Parties, attorneys, witnesses, and those required to participate may enter the courthouse on the day of their hearings. All visitors and observers are to remain outside of the courthouse.
While at the courthouse, individuals are strongly encouraged to wear facial coverings, practice appropriate hygiene, and maintain the suggested six-foot social distancing measures.
Other operations will be modified as follows:
The Clerk windows will remain closed. A drop box for all filing types is available at the courthouse located at 532 Oak Street, Colusa, CA 95932. The drop box will be checked multiple times each business day by the Clerk’s Office and requests for emergency orders will continue to be processed in a timely manner. Filings can also be submitted by mail. If your filing necessitates a response from the Court, you should include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Court users should utilize various options available to minimize the necessity of coming to the courthouse. Those are:
- For general questions, you may contact the Clerk’s Office by telephone between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. by calling (530)458-5149.
- In-person Self-Help services are closed. Self-Help information is available on our website. Family Law Facilitator appointments are available by telephone and/or Zoom, Monday through Wednesday. Please call (530)458-0598 to schedule an appointment.
- Telephone payments can be made by calling (833)460-8565.
- Online payment options are available at www.colusacourtpay.com
- Appointments with the Mediator will be held via phone and Zoom to the extent possible. Please call (530)458-0598 to schedule an appointment.
- Telephonic and Video appearances are available in certain case types. Please reference the Court calendar information. For telephonic appearances, please contact CourtCall. For Zoom appearances, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access to justice is an important right of each citizen. The decision to limit functions within the court was made based on information provided by federal and state health officials and in an attempt to protect the public and staff from exposure to COVID-19.
Further adjustments may be made to the Court’s calendar, depending on the changing circumstances of the public health threat of COVID-19. The court will monitor the situation and continue to consult with the Judicial Council and local public health officials. Please check the Court’s website at www.colusa.courts.ca.gov for updates.
Persons having court dates during the periods of the closure should contact their attorneys for further information. Please be advised that information will be updated on the Court’s website at
www.colusa.courts.ca.gov with all the latest details provided to the court.
We regret any inconvenience this closure may cause.
View the full notice here.
First Legal, your premier litigation support provider.